A few days ago, I caught a picture from my friend, Brit, on good ol’ Facebook that stopped me dead in my scrolling. This bowl of bulgur wheat, mushrooms, veggies and spices just looked the the most perfect lunch, side or impromptu comforty meal.
Here’s what Brit says:
“I don’t ever post foodie photos but this was too good to not share. Sometimes not having a plan for what to make and using only what you have kicking around is the most gratifying. Bulgur wheat, toasted pine nuts, onion, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, and a tablespoon of organic spirulina powder. This dish should take no longer than 10-15 total to prepare and cook! Some other additions that would be great are chopped cauliflower and maybe some chicken!”
Makes about 2 servings
- 1 Cup Bulgur Wheat, cooked
- 7-8 Chestnut Mushrooms, chopped
- 7-8 Mini Sweet Bell Peppers, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Toasted Pine Nuts
- Dash of Turmeric
- Sea Salt and Black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Spirulina Powder
- In a pan on medium heat, heat olive oil and saute onions until soft (3-5 minutes)t hen added in garlic and peppers and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in pine nuts, salt and pepper and a dash of turmeric.
- Add in mushrooms and cover.
- Turn down heat and add in bulgur wheat. Cook on low until mushrooms are tender.
- Once mushrooms and veggies are cooked, add in spirulina powder.
- Stir on low heat for a couple more minutes, season to taste, and you’re done!