We decided to up the ante on our last taco Tuesday celebration so I adopted this recipe to make some awesome enchiladas with a zingy tomato and chipotle sauce. Typing this out is making me wish I had more of these leftover in the fridge!
*Note: I used 1 package (8 ea.) corn tortillas but it made enough stuffing to use another package if you wanted to make more smaller sized ones.*
Also if you didn’t have time to slow cook the chicken you could also buy pre-cooked or just saute small cut pieces!
Makes 8-16 enchiladas
- 4-6 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups small cubed butternut squash (1 medium squash)
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 can drained and rinsed black beans
- seat salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chipotle pepper from canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8-16 corn tortillas
- 1.5 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 day or 1 day ahead of time, place chicken in a slow cooker with salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of water. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender and shreds easily. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread the butternut squash cubes on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. transfer to a bowl and mix in scallions, black beans, shredded chicken, some chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the sauce: In a food processor, blend the tomatoes, garlic, chipotle, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until smooth.
- in a large casserole dish, spread 2 large spoonfuls of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Distribute filling to all of the corn tortillas and roll into even enchiladas, lining them up in the pan seam side down.
- Pour over remaining sauce, top with cheese and jalapeños, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes (400F). Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro and lime wedges!