I was reluctant to own an instant pot because, well, I was trained as a chef and I love the whole process of cooking and a silly gadget to do it all for me just sounded lazy and against my ethics.
I reluctantly bought one and this was the first recipe I made. Hooked! We call it ‘crack rice’ at home because it is so addicting and one can never get enough. I have to make a 1 1/2 times batch to fulfill the cravings through a couple days..
*Note: definitely follow the instructions on the 1/4″ think ginger slices. They are bursts of bright and tangy texture.
-adapted from Epicurious-
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/3 cups jasmine rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves plus stems, stems and leaves divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lime, halved (one half cut into wedges, for serving)
- Select Sauté on high heat on the Instant Pot and add the oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add the coconut milk and water. Secure the lid.
- Select Manual and cook for 13 minutes on high pressure.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- Add the rice, chopped cilantro stems, and sugar and secure the lid. Select Manual and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and bones from the chicken and discard. (I usually eat the skin as it’s a buttery and delicious ‘chef snack’)
- When the rice is cooked, select Cancel and let naturally release for 10 minutes. Release any remaining steam.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and add the juice of half the lime. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls topped with cilantro leaves and lime wedges.