This idea inspired from a group on Facebook I host called ‘The Taco Cleanse’ where we share healthier inspired and creative tacos and just have a lot of fun!
Really the inspiration of this dish came from what I had in my fridge and picking up some fresh diver scallops.
I just love the texture and bitterness of celery leaves and they not only added some color but went well with the brininess of the scallops and the sweet and sour of the grapefruit.
I made a wasabi and cucumber cream but will admit that it was a bit overpowering and maybe next time I’ll omit the wasabi and just go with a cucumber and lime cream.
“Ask not what your fridge can make for you but what you can make from your fridge”
Nonetheless here’s the recipe:
- 6-8 large fresh sea scallops, sandwiched between 2 paper towels
- tortillas, I used whole wheat flour ones and blue corn I had kicking around
- olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 grapefruit, cut into segments
- cooked sweet potato, diced
- 1 red radish, diced
- 1 small shallot (or red onion), minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (or powder mixed with water)
- 1/4 cup cumber
- lime wedges to garnish
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons celery leaves
- Season scallops with salt and pepper and pan sear in cast iron or stainless steel skillet until browned nicely but not overcooked in middle (1-2 minutes per side). Set aside to rest.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven or toaster oven until warm.
- puree sour cream, cucumber and wasabi in a food processor until smooth. Season with a little salt and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Slice scallops thin and place on top of warmed tortillas and pile on radish, grapefruit wedges, celery leaves, onion, scallions and sweet sweet potato. Drizzle with sauce and serve!