Yes you read right-vegan ricotta. The main ingredient in this is tofu. When you blend it with lemon juice, herbs, and garlic it has the texture, body and even flavor of actual ricotta! It’s amazing!
Also adapted from Gwyneth.
For the ricotta:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 package (7 ounces) extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup rough chopped zucchini
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked per instructions on box
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1 jar tomato sauce (marinara)
- 2 zucchini, sliced into thin planks
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese (oops, not vegan! but optional, of course..)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make ‘ricotta’: In a food processor, combine the garlic, tofu, chopped zucchini, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, basil and a generous pinch of slat and pepper. Process to a spreadable consistency.
- Drizzle a casserole of oven dish (9 x 13-inch) pan with olive oil then layer the ingredients as follows in even layers: tomato sauce, noodles, ricotta, zucchini. Sprinkle a little salt on top of the zucchini. Repeat until all noodles, ricotta, and zucchini is used up.
- Top with Romano (if using) and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. remove cover and bake for 20-30 minutes more or until zucchini is cooked through and sauce is bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil.